New York State Adirondack Park Agency flyer: "Agencies Requiring Permits in the Adirondack Park"

In addition to a local building or subdivision permit, please be aware that you may also need a separate permit from one or more of these State Agencies. Federal Agency permits may also be required for some projects, particularly if they involve wetlands. Please contact them about your plans:

Jurisdictional Inquiry Office
PO Box 99
Ray Brook, NY 12997
(518) 891-4050


APA Permits may be needed for:

• Construction of dwellings
• Subdivisions of land
• Activities in or affecting wetlands
• Change in use of certain buildings
• New or expanded commercial & industrial uses
• Shoreline development, disturbance or vegetative cutting along lakes & rivers
• Towers & other structures over 40’ in height
• Waste disposal areas
And other activities – please contact APA

Ask for a Citizen’s Guide and a jurisdictional determination

Regional Permit Administrator
DEC Region 5 Hdqtrs
(Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton Counties)
Ray Brook, NY 12977
(518) 897-1234
DEC Warrensburg Office
(Warren, Washington, Fulton, Saratoga Counties)
(518) 623-1200
DEC Region 6 Hdqtrs
(Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida & St. Lawrence Counties)

DEC Permits may be needed for:

• Disturbance of bed or banks of streams, lakes, rivers - may include bridges, boathouses, shoreline stabilization
• Large wastewater systems
• Floating objects in navigable waters
• Public water supplies
• Storm water discharge for construction sites 1 acre or larger
• Solid waste & hazardous waste disposal
And other activities – please contact DEC

NYS DOH District Offices
Glens Falls Office
(518) 793-3893
Saranac Lake Office
(518) 891-1800
Canton Office
Herkimer Office
Watertown Office

DOH Permits may be needed for:

• Realty subdivisions of five or more lots, each five acres or less in size
• Alternative septic systems
• Shared (“community”) household water supplies
• Food service establishments
And other activities – please contact DOH

NYS DOT Regional Offices
Region 1 Office
(Essex, Saratoga, Warren, Washington Counties)
Schenectady, NY 12305
Region 2 Office
(Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer Counties)
Utica, NY 13501
Region 7 Office
(Clinton, Franklin, Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence Counties)
Watertown, NY 13601

DOT Permits may be needed for:

• Work in State Highway ROWs including new driveway access, underground & overhead utilities
And other activities – please contact DOT

Other Agencies depending on location of project:
Lake George Park Commission (for docks, moorings & marinas on Lake George) Tel: (518) 668-9347
NYS Office of General Services (for activities on submerged lands owned by the State of NY) Tel: (518) 474-2195
Hudson River/Black River Regulating District Tel: (518)661-5535 (activities on land under the jurisdiction of the regulating district)

APA:jc May 2003