close window

Do shoreline restrictions apply to all projects?

Shoreline restrictions apply whether or not and Agency permit is required. They apply to all lakes and ponds and all rivers being studied for inclusion in the Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers System, and all other rivers and streams navigable by boat, including canoe.

Shoreline setback restrictions apply to all structures greater than 100 square feet in size except docks and boathouses. “Structures” include buildings, sheds, fences, tanks, etc. Setbacks are measured horizontally from the point of the shoreline at its high water mark. If you are considering a development proposal, Agency staff will help you determine the mean high water mark.

The three Acts administered by the Agency the APA Act, the Wild Scenic and Recreational Rivers System Act, and the Freshwater Wetlands Act all have a bearing on whether your project will require an Agency permit.

Generally, an APA permit is needed for projects within 1/4 mile of a river included in the State’s Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers System: Ausable, Black, Blue Mt. Stream, Bog, Boreas, Boquet, Cedar, Cold, Deer, East Canada Creek, Grasse, Hudson, Independence, Indian, Jordan, Kunjamuk, Long Pond Outlet, Marion, Moose, Oswegatchie, Otter Brook, Raquette, Rock, Sacandaga, St. Regis, Salmon, Saranac, Schroon, West Canada Creek and West Stony Creek. (see also ยง577 –Special Provisions Relating to Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers or Summary of River Regulations)